A short history of the church 

History of Saint Peter the Apostle, East Blatchington

The first Rector, Hamo de Warenne was recorded as being between 1257 – 1293, so we know that St. Peter’s existed in the 13th Century. The south wall of the nave displays two blocked semi-circular arches which appear to have been cut through in the 13th Century, possibly giving access to a wooden built south aisle or chapel. Historians think this was short lived and was demolished, probably after the Black Death c. 1350 when some Sussex villages, such as Exceat, lost over half their population. However, when strengthening the foundations in 1860, two urns were discovered with charred bones and wood, believed to be either Ancient Briton or Roman. It is probable that the church was built on a site that was sacred even before Christianity was introduced to this country. Pevensey, where William the Conqueror landed, is only a few miles to the East, one of his early actions was to replace the wooden built Saxon churches and rebuild in stone. The present Western Tower dates from the 13th century. Whatever the date, it is an ancient building where people have worshipped for at least a thousand years.

St. Peter’s is classified as a 2* historic building. When restoration and repairs are required, traditional techniques are followed to retain the heritage. The interior is simple, with a central aisle, with pews to seat around 120. The acoustics are superb.

The Millennium was celebrated by commissioning a new window from Jane Campbell, on the theme ‘darkness to light’.

The churchyard was closed for burials in 1899.

There is a memorial tablet to Henry James Coxwell, AERONAUT, who in 1860 made a balloon ascent to 7 miles.
The BBC have an interesting item on an incident involving Mr. Coxwell at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-28674654

A booklet with more detailed information is available for sale, please send A5 SAE with £1.50 to: The Rectory, 86 Belgrave Road, SEAFORD BN25 2HE.

Our Rectors over the past 800 years or so can be found listed HERE.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Seaford Monumental Inscriptions Group


Local historians are carrying out a survey of the tombstones in Saint Peter's Churchyard, during summer 2012. Cleaning and recording the inscriptions will identify the occupants of graves dating back into previous centuries. Further work on the lives of those former residents and their families is planned. When this work is at a stage that permits publication, we will add this information to this site, either by a link or an added webpage.
April 2013 - The group, now constituted under the title of the Seaford Monumental Inscriptions Group, now has its own website - http://www.seamig.org.uk/index.htm . As well as publishing the outcomes of the group's hard work in our churchyard and in other local sites on the website, a book is in preparation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The entry for Saint Peter's in John Allen's informative 'Sussex Parish Churches' website is at

The Lewes District Council conservation plan for East Blatchington gives much interesting information about the area. You can find it at http://www.lewes.gov.uk/Files/plan_CAA_EastBlatchington.pdf 




Please send emails relating to Saint Peter's to pccstpeters@gmail.com and letters to The Rectory, 86 Belgrave Road, Seaford, BN25 2HE.
Please send correspondence relating to Saint Andrew's to Hilary Norsworthy, Churchwarden, 8 Hawth Hill, Bishopstone, Seaford ,  BN25 2RL 
 Correspondence relating to the United Benefice should also be sent to Saint Peter's Rectory

The area telephone code for all the numbers shown in this site is 01323, unless stated otherwise.

Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookie Policy | Charity Number: excepted church charity